Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Par for the Course and Today's Trade

Roenick

In typical fashion Jeremy Roenick is going back on his retirement claims, saying that he isn't sure whether or not he's going to hang up the skates. I'm guessing he looked at his gambling debts and thought "hmmm, I bet I can sucker some team into signing me for another year at a couple million.....that should at least cover my super bowl losses." If you're unaware of Roenick's previous transgression look no further than this article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2919-2004Aug15.html.

If you're looking for additional reasons to hold little respect for Roenick, refer to this article where he claims that "It would be a travesty" if he wasn't on the USA hockey team and threatens that if he fails to make the cut Team USA "better hope that I don't get a job as a commentator on NBC for [the Games], or it'd be 'Go Canada' all the way, and I don't want that."

Here's the article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2252497

Of course, they left the old, withered man off the roster and he had this to say about it: "I know nobody on that team has more points in the National Hockey League than me. So if they want to go that way, good luck," Roenick said.

Considering that Mike Modano was on the USA hockey team, that's a pretty stupid claim....even for Roenick. Frankly, the man is totally devoid of class. The only reason I'd like to see him come back is so I watch him suffer through another 20 point season and punctuate his career with a massive, vomit-inducing concussion at the hands of Chris Pronger, Chris Neil or any other player in the NHL. It's over, it was over a long time ago, let it go and please, for the love of everything holy, don't go into broadcasting.

Ottawa and Boston

Now, on to more interesting news and better players, the Ottawa Senators cut salary today by trading Peter Schaefer to the Bruins in exchange for Shean Donovan. Schaefer is definitely a more talented player but this was done to create cap space in order to accommodate what will be a substantial raise for their number one goaltender Ray Emery.

No comments: